Skip to main content

Work musings

My job involves keying in data, but what's more important are the details being keyed beneath this no-brainer job. In fact, it's saddening because I have to look through application papers for social assistance and financial help from mostly the broken families, or families with a deceased parent, or children with a parent serving his/her imprisonment, or abandoned kids born out of wedlock and whom their grandparents have to take reponsibilities for. It's even sadder to imagine these young children being exposed to such turmoil at the early stages of their lives.

Anyway, before I get too attached to this, my newfound colleague just had me laughing throughout the whole afternoon so much that I had to suppress as much as I can from my usual laughing outbursts. After expressing how saddening some family situations are, she told me that she has seen even sadder cases as she worked in some social assistance centre before. And this was when the joke came in. She explained how she came across really funny, weird names parents actually gave to their children(as gently discussed in The Noose as well LOL). And there was this particular name that had me laughing till I teared. And that is, PERIUK BIN KUALI. For those who don't understand, if I literally translate this, it means "Wok, son of Pan" Ok, technically both words means 'pan' if I'm not wrong. This is darn hilarious, can't take it!!! Cooking tools as choices of names? Seriously?!?

Met up with ruiqi, joy & jiayee today for another round of board games (for me). It was great catching up with the girls. Plus, Ruiqi made for us chocolates with smashed oreo fillings! Hello dear Martha Stewart! :) Very delicious thank you so much babe! They are good that I have to mention here :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming my voice

It has been more than 2 years since I published anything on this blog. I have written a few reflections quite abit during this time, but they are mostly in draft versions, probably reflective of the scatteredness of my thought processes, or the ongoing engagement with the topic which has yet found a proper resolve (or is there ever a resolve really?), or just me finding mere words to articulate my thoughts that are waiting to be entertained and possibly verbalised or written. I'm driven to write this post precisely because I can't entirely ignore the nagging voice inside my head, telling me to use writing as a tool to not only express myself, but to reclaim my voice. It is such an insanely noisy world. The constant stream of information from different online platforms not only pull me from various directions, but it spreads my attention too thin that it is impossible to follow one stream of thought, sit on it for awhile, slowly reflect and if possible, articulate it. It is not

Information vs. Knowledge

“To know how to put what knowledge in which place is wisdom. Otherwise, knowledge without order and seeking it without discipline does lead to confusion and hence to injustice to one's self.” - Syed Muhammad Naquib Al-Attas This week's key takeaway for me is that; knowledge requires knowing its proper order and place.  Everything else is just information.

Infinity

unbounded to any definitions or limits, existing but not adequately known. this entity, being constantly talked about, pulls like an unbeatable gravitational force. we are always approaching, almost touching, existing in tandem, still, not yet meeting Infinity the eventual meeting where there are no bounds