Skip to main content

Reclaiming my voice

It has been more than 2 years since I published anything on this blog. I have written a few reflections quite abit during this time, but they are mostly in draft versions, probably reflective of the scatteredness of my thought processes, or the ongoing engagement with the topic which has yet found a proper resolve (or is there ever a resolve really?), or just me finding mere words to articulate my thoughts that are waiting to be entertained and possibly verbalised or written.

I'm driven to write this post precisely because I can't entirely ignore the nagging voice inside my head, telling me to use writing as a tool to not only express myself, but to reclaim my voice. It is such an insanely noisy world. The constant stream of information from different online platforms not only pull me from various directions, but it spreads my attention too thin that it is impossible to follow one stream of thought, sit on it for awhile, slowly reflect and if possible, articulate it. It is not just a noisy online world. As I find myself participating in different interest groups, circles and communities at the wake of the pandemic, whilst I'm so blessed to have crossed paths with inspiring people for whom I have a great affinity, particularly those having interesting perspectives from whom I can learn, it too can get noisy. In-person spaces can also be hijacked by stronger personalities, opinionated and loud voices. This isn't to unfairly spotlight on individuals per se, but rather on the loud, dominating and also fast-paced nature of discourse. This can be incredibly challenging to draw quieter voices, or rather, nuanced voices which require more time to develop.

Another area I am personally learning to develop is also establishing boundaries. I don't think I take up space very well in some relationships and it comes pretty naturally for me to hold space for others, empathise and build on what they're sharing, by asking more questions or add onto whatever they've shared. Basically I then just play the role of a soundboard for a long time. The downside of this is that sometimes I feel the co-productive nature of discourse can be lost when the spotlight is mostly focused on the voices that take up most space. And as a result, I feel like my voice is drowned and lost, because I am constantly responding to the voices of others (on top of that, the competing voices we read about, watch, listen to on online platforms), without producing thoughts of my own, and hearing my own voice. I am learning to proactively shift conversations and learn to take up space in this way. I don't think I'm particularly always good at it, but definitely an area of development.

And so this is how I got to this point. I spoke to a couple of close friends whom I hold very dearly to, who have consistently held space for me where I feel safe enough to share these concerns. I also come to realise that turning to this blogging space is the most obvious means to reclaim my voice, to safely share my thoughts, develop opinions and restart the habit of writing. I've always had an affinity with writing ever since I was a child. I love the slow-paced nature of it, almost telling my thoughts to slow down, get a grip and focus. As I'm writing this, I am already feeling grounded and it feels healing. Not to be swayed by the noise, not to be dragged in different directions, but to stay still with my thoughts. 

So, bismillah. I shall not confine this process as a super structured one where I have to write at regular intervals, but rather as an invitation to myself to use this space whenever I feel I'm losing that voice once again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dumbledore

I know this is probably another random entry. But I'm excited for Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows movie and I suddenly thought about the day when I read through the final pages of Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince. I must admit, I was actually mourning for the great Albus Dumbledore when he died (or got killed rather). Not the kind of mourning that goes on for days, just a momentary one. And I pictured in my mind, how everyone in Hogwarts were mourning for their beloved Headmaster and how solemn the environment must have felt to the extent that I actually thought that the bedroom where I was, in this tiny, little Singapore, felt equally dull and grey as well. It's impressive how characters come alive like that and reel me into the world of stories. I even had texted Revathi about how sad I felt when I was done with the book. Pardon for the melodrama, but it's the power of narration, and of course the brilliant writer herself, J.K Rowling. And certainly, the mo...

Artichoke

HAHA! Si tu le dis : you know what archuleta sounds like Si tu le dis : it sounds like artichokes sakinah : what! sakinah : HAHA sakinah : YEAH! sakinah : the french vegetable! Si tu le dis : thus, vegetables. As a matter of fact, I did taste artichoke, and it's pretty good. Very delicious vegetable indeed, right Alvin? HAHAHAH!

There's always 1001 things to do

Now, I supposed most Singaporean bloggers will harp about the flood at Orchard Road. I shall skip that, although I'd like to add that I actually woke up this morning (11 am) feeling so good because the weather's nice. Little did I know for two hours there was a flood at Orchard Road and to think that such occurences are rarity. Ok I hope they would start doing something to the drainage system. Working at Media C. for 2 days was quite an experience, except that Aiman and I did nothing much on Sunday and we kind of did a million more things on Monday because we had ongoing tasks to do. Plus we've met exciting people and also, hmm, interesting people (of whom we secretly gave nicknames for us to refer to). I suddenly thought of The Devil Wears Prada and I actually wonder how the life of assistants are in this line of work, are they really treated like shit? Is that a part of climbing up the ladder in this career path? Ok random. The awesome thing is really to see how they swi...