Skip to main content

Mobility

If there is one thing the lockdown has made me realised, it is the importance of movement as an integral aspect of our day-to-day living. It is the short walk to the bus stop, to the office, the commute to meeting a friend or to that special place, the meeting of that food craving, the running of errands without worrying a single thing about irresponsible crowds. Now that a lot of these movements are no longer needed or have been much reduced, it is easy to fall into a slump. For awhile now, it has been incredibly tempting to remain in my chair, and to muster every once of my energy to journey towards the sofa, or worst the bed at 7pm after signing off from work. Life happens within these four walls and under this roof more than it does anywhere else in the world. Even though we have accomplished so much at home, yet it still feels like we're stuck. Sometimes, it feels like I'm living in a long block of time with no beginning nor end. The markers of time indeed are my body clock, the rising and the setting of the sun. During winter, it is so easy to not budge at all, even if I need to go for a grocery run.

I'm learning to slowly introduce bits of activity into my time which involved walking - whether it is my 10-minute morning exercise, or an hour of walk in the afternoon just before dusk. The inertia to sustain those routine is hella strong, but I need to be strong too. It is unnatural to not move. But it is through these little things that makes me feel like I'm somewhat progressing through my days and weeks. It makes me wonder if progress has to do with physical movements too, though I have written previously about growth happening in stillness and not associating quietude and stillness with inactivity and stagnancy. In this context in particular, I need to feel like I'm moving, to feel something. It reminds me of a hamster running on her wheel. To us she's not really moving, but she still feels like she is working and heading somewhere. And perhaps, that's all that really matters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming my voice

It has been more than 2 years since I published anything on this blog. I have written a few reflections quite abit during this time, but they are mostly in draft versions, probably reflective of the scatteredness of my thought processes, or the ongoing engagement with the topic which has yet found a proper resolve (or is there ever a resolve really?), or just me finding mere words to articulate my thoughts that are waiting to be entertained and possibly verbalised or written. I'm driven to write this post precisely because I can't entirely ignore the nagging voice inside my head, telling me to use writing as a tool to not only express myself, but to reclaim my voice. It is such an insanely noisy world. The constant stream of information from different online platforms not only pull me from various directions, but it spreads my attention too thin that it is impossible to follow one stream of thought, sit on it for awhile, slowly reflect and if possible, articulate it. It is not

Information vs. Knowledge

“To know how to put what knowledge in which place is wisdom. Otherwise, knowledge without order and seeking it without discipline does lead to confusion and hence to injustice to one's self.” - Syed Muhammad Naquib Al-Attas This week's key takeaway for me is that; knowledge requires knowing its proper order and place.  Everything else is just information.

Infinity

unbounded to any definitions or limits, existing but not adequately known. this entity, being constantly talked about, pulls like an unbeatable gravitational force. we are always approaching, almost touching, existing in tandem, still, not yet meeting Infinity the eventual meeting where there are no bounds