Skip to main content

Managing expectations

At the turn of 30, I never thought I had to navigate an area I thought I had already come to terms with before and addressed back then in my early - mid 20s. Could it be because I'm far away from everything I've known to be familiar with which drove me to reevaluate certain things again? It is nonetheless necessary to reevaluate and have multiple checkpoints, especially when I'm responding to a new environment, to new situations I would otherwise have not been in.

I have been gruelling with the process of managing my own expectations of others. Somehow when you're far away, your expectations on people back at home seem more inflated in their importance than they were before. I've always taken the position that we are responsible for our own emotions, therefore when I feel slightly let down by some people, the problem lies within me and I need to regulate my emotions better. If I feel upset with someone, then I need to question myself - how could I make myself less affected and less upset? It is not his/her problem to fulfil my expected expectations of them. Wasn't I the one who needs to reduce my expectations of them? Should I then subsequently banish the whole notion of expectations on others? Isn't it human to fall short and make mistakes? Even I myself could unintentionally disappoint and let others down because of my own fallibilities.

I am a little torn when it comes to this issue. Although in theory I do hold on to this position very strongly, it is very difficult to put these regulation methods into practice because of my humanly flaws such as recognising the imbalances in the relationship, doubting if the person would show up for me the same way I have been showing up for the person and if I mean the same to the person. I also recognise the complexity of my situation considering the many other factors which affect this, such as the challenges in keeping up or catching up through online methods, and I'm also aware of the time differences and other hoops to jump when it comes to long-distance relationships.

My way of attaining balance in this area still pretty much relies on my initial position when it comes to expectations - that at the heart of it, I need to be the one to take responsibility in regulating my emotions and adjusting my internal demands. This means taking actions which would help me cope better, such as avoiding and removing myself from situations I know would subject me to disappointments. This also means being aware of my own capabilities and thus take control over how I could deal with my emotions reasonably. This includes finding healthier ways of expression i.e. this blog and sharing with people who care, as outlets. Hopefully with time, I would learn to deal better with disappointments and letdowns. But at this stage, perhaps being in more controlled situations could buy me time to hone this skill. I have learnt how fragile our mental health could be, especially when I'm abroad now and this state of things. The steps I've taken concertedly and will be taking, are my means to reclaim my own mental health.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dumbledore

I know this is probably another random entry. But I'm excited for Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows movie and I suddenly thought about the day when I read through the final pages of Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince. I must admit, I was actually mourning for the great Albus Dumbledore when he died (or got killed rather). Not the kind of mourning that goes on for days, just a momentary one. And I pictured in my mind, how everyone in Hogwarts were mourning for their beloved Headmaster and how solemn the environment must have felt to the extent that I actually thought that the bedroom where I was, in this tiny, little Singapore, felt equally dull and grey as well. It's impressive how characters come alive like that and reel me into the world of stories. I even had texted Revathi about how sad I felt when I was done with the book. Pardon for the melodrama, but it's the power of narration, and of course the brilliant writer herself, J.K Rowling. And certainly, the mo...

Artichoke

HAHA! Si tu le dis : you know what archuleta sounds like Si tu le dis : it sounds like artichokes sakinah : what! sakinah : HAHA sakinah : YEAH! sakinah : the french vegetable! Si tu le dis : thus, vegetables. As a matter of fact, I did taste artichoke, and it's pretty good. Very delicious vegetable indeed, right Alvin? HAHAHAH!

There's always 1001 things to do

Now, I supposed most Singaporean bloggers will harp about the flood at Orchard Road. I shall skip that, although I'd like to add that I actually woke up this morning (11 am) feeling so good because the weather's nice. Little did I know for two hours there was a flood at Orchard Road and to think that such occurences are rarity. Ok I hope they would start doing something to the drainage system. Working at Media C. for 2 days was quite an experience, except that Aiman and I did nothing much on Sunday and we kind of did a million more things on Monday because we had ongoing tasks to do. Plus we've met exciting people and also, hmm, interesting people (of whom we secretly gave nicknames for us to refer to). I suddenly thought of The Devil Wears Prada and I actually wonder how the life of assistants are in this line of work, are they really treated like shit? Is that a part of climbing up the ladder in this career path? Ok random. The awesome thing is really to see how they swi...