Skip to main content

Increasing criticality and cynicism

I've always known that life is complex and most subject matters are never straightforward. Yet one of the most incredible discovery and realisation I have to come to terms with a lot these days, yet equally terrifying, is how much we can actually evolve and grow. I was initially inclined to use the word "change", but I think the word "grow" is more suitable. I could say that my 23-year-old self, my 27-year-old self and my present self are not entirely the same. Yes, I'm pretty much the same person overall on the fundamental level, but the way I think, and some of my views have shifted quite a bit.

I feel myself being increasingly critical and cynical since I lived in the UK. Initially I wondered if it is part of the natural process of maturity (and aging) which brings the element of cynicism but I decided that that's not actually compelling.

I would imagine that the antonyms of cynicism would be naïveté. While some people think that cynicism could be followed with bitterness towards life in general, I don't necessarily think it's always the case. I think cynicism has a lot to do with a clearer understanding of the reality we are presented with. I think my cynicism about people has a lot to do with me coming to terms with the fact that humans have great propensity of selfishness and self-centeredness, and I begun to see how these manifest through actions of others. I also am quite cynical about systems and structures in place in society. I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing because cynicism helps to ground me better, propel me further into issues and problems, and maybe think of ways to overcome these things.

Maybe it is through this MA journey (for close to 6 month thus far) where I am constantly presented with many perspectives that sometimes make me question and revise thoughts which were formed much earlier in my 20s. But anyway, I would be terrified if I'm still the same person I was a few years ago and now. It may mean that I may not really have thought, questioned, learnt and reflected deeper than before.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to basics

Once again the heavy downpour. Certainly the rhythmic sound of the rain, slapping against the floor, against the windows, have conjured images in our heads of the pleasant idea of sleeping, or reading with hot cocoa (but of course this wouldn't be possible due to fasting), or just snuggling up in bed. How nice. But here I am almost dressed and ready for school. I don't know why, but it has been quite some time since I felt like I've been in school, like proper school. Perhaps it's the three days mc I've got. But now, I feel like I'm energized despite fasting, all set and ready for school. The scent of cooking porridge and spaghetti made me all excited to get through 2 lectures, one meeting and a bus ride home back welcomed by the sumptuous breaking fast meal although I'd only be back by eight-ish. Today shall be the first in a long time I'd make an appearance in French class. It's been more than a week. Wish me luck that my temperature won't rise...

Artichoke

HAHA! Si tu le dis : you know what archuleta sounds like Si tu le dis : it sounds like artichokes sakinah : what! sakinah : HAHA sakinah : YEAH! sakinah : the french vegetable! Si tu le dis : thus, vegetables. As a matter of fact, I did taste artichoke, and it's pretty good. Very delicious vegetable indeed, right Alvin? HAHAHAH!

I need a challenge

Now I feel like doing just one thing and that's just it. So far I feel like I've been running around doing a million random things, like tuitioning, and then to autism centre for volunteer, and then interviewing dialysis patients. And then soon I will be helping khalilah with a one-day media corp thing and there's gonna be YOG training soon. I need to just do one thing, I'm feeling kind of bored just being here and there, and everywhere. KL for 3 days was awesome. Being high during the course of the trip was an understatement. Shopping there was a disappointment though, hopefully I'll be able to go there again in July and perhaps the sales would be better. But food wasn't a letdown at all. I wish the trip was longer though. Actually, I just feel like being in some faraway place to get a good feel of holiday mood because I don't feel much of a holiday just being in Singapore. Dream on. I also need to find some good deal of time to read. I hate it that everyti...