There is the tendency to associate growth and productivity in relation to movements and in situations when things are happening and buzzing. This has a lot to do with how we locate our understanding of growth and productivity within the context of today's modern liberal age of quick results, outputs and KPIs, the rat race, the busyness and noise. I disagree with this. Growth, through inspiration and retrospection, could happen even in stillness and when your surrounding is quiet with nothing much going on. We don't quite realise that we run the risk of neglecting on the more important aspects of it, in particular, psychological, mental, emotional and spiritual dimensions of growth. Just a reminder to self to not see my mundane lived experiences as any less than the days when I'm occupied, running from one task to another. For great things really do happen in quietude and stillness, especially the internal processes that we often don't see as important markers and measures of growth.
I know this is probably another random entry. But I'm excited for Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows movie and I suddenly thought about the day when I read through the final pages of Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince. I must admit, I was actually mourning for the great Albus Dumbledore when he died (or got killed rather). Not the kind of mourning that goes on for days, just a momentary one. And I pictured in my mind, how everyone in Hogwarts were mourning for their beloved Headmaster and how solemn the environment must have felt to the extent that I actually thought that the bedroom where I was, in this tiny, little Singapore, felt equally dull and grey as well. It's impressive how characters come alive like that and reel me into the world of stories. I even had texted Revathi about how sad I felt when I was done with the book. Pardon for the melodrama, but it's the power of narration, and of course the brilliant writer herself, J.K Rowling. And certainly, the mo...
Comments
Post a Comment