Skip to main content

My commutes, my santuary

Even after the advent of smartphones, public commutes (especially buses) continue to serve as my sanctuary for downtime and me time. It allows my mind to process the series of events during the day, to sit and gather with my thoughts when they are far remote from noise and let my mind wander and entertain whatever it wants. I look forward to reading in buses and trains and even coming up with ideas, or use the time to recharge mentally and physically. Since private cars have become an increasing commodity, I look forward to my solo commutes even more than I ever did before. It takes a lot more effort lately in face of the continuous promotion by Grab and Uber, the fact that my office is closer to home now and the irresistible need to sleep longer. But these commutes are necessary as they serve as that space for nothingness, that blankness to just be, lest I want to move without pauses from one task to another, like running on an autopilot. This is how I view my walks, cycling trips and plane rides too. Cycling isn't only a form of a recreational activity but it compels me to be mindful and present just by being disconnected from my phone. Long plane rides are rewarding after the amount of hectic work (including the packing) I wonder why is it that sadly, I'm relying on my commutes in order to steal some downtime when I could make time for it more consciously and conscientiously. It got me thinking about how technology and the quick-fix hacks have changed the way we live and influenced the already fast-paced societies we are living in. But perhaps personally, there's really something beautiful about commuting. It's symbolical of the importance of enjoying the journey besides being focused solely on reaching the destination. This brings me back to the time years ago when someone commented on our experiences commuting together vis-a-vis one driving the other. The company was more enjoyable and meaningful in the former. So life is a journey. In such a fast paced and overly wired world, I'm still holding onto my commutes as one of my sanctuaries. Perhaps this could be my first step towards disconnecting in order to be truly connected, firstly with myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to basics

Once again the heavy downpour. Certainly the rhythmic sound of the rain, slapping against the floor, against the windows, have conjured images in our heads of the pleasant idea of sleeping, or reading with hot cocoa (but of course this wouldn't be possible due to fasting), or just snuggling up in bed. How nice. But here I am almost dressed and ready for school. I don't know why, but it has been quite some time since I felt like I've been in school, like proper school. Perhaps it's the three days mc I've got. But now, I feel like I'm energized despite fasting, all set and ready for school. The scent of cooking porridge and spaghetti made me all excited to get through 2 lectures, one meeting and a bus ride home back welcomed by the sumptuous breaking fast meal although I'd only be back by eight-ish. Today shall be the first in a long time I'd make an appearance in French class. It's been more than a week. Wish me luck that my temperature won't rise...

Artichoke

HAHA! Si tu le dis : you know what archuleta sounds like Si tu le dis : it sounds like artichokes sakinah : what! sakinah : HAHA sakinah : YEAH! sakinah : the french vegetable! Si tu le dis : thus, vegetables. As a matter of fact, I did taste artichoke, and it's pretty good. Very delicious vegetable indeed, right Alvin? HAHAHAH!

I need a challenge

Now I feel like doing just one thing and that's just it. So far I feel like I've been running around doing a million random things, like tuitioning, and then to autism centre for volunteer, and then interviewing dialysis patients. And then soon I will be helping khalilah with a one-day media corp thing and there's gonna be YOG training soon. I need to just do one thing, I'm feeling kind of bored just being here and there, and everywhere. KL for 3 days was awesome. Being high during the course of the trip was an understatement. Shopping there was a disappointment though, hopefully I'll be able to go there again in July and perhaps the sales would be better. But food wasn't a letdown at all. I wish the trip was longer though. Actually, I just feel like being in some faraway place to get a good feel of holiday mood because I don't feel much of a holiday just being in Singapore. Dream on. I also need to find some good deal of time to read. I hate it that everyti...