Skip to main content

Positive boredom

Free time, or a lack of a better term, idleness (I'd prefer to call it 'positive boredom'), is an essential variable for creativity. Days like these where I have to put my foot down and tell myself to abandon work, are days where my books are beckoning me to turn their pages, ideas waiting to be engaged and penned down, films waiting to be watched, time seeking to be spent in quiet contemplation and the soul wanting to express itself in all its authenticity. Days like these are those which we tend to downplay on their importance and dismiss as unproductive without realising the magic they hold. Idleness is frowned upon because it doesn't seem quite compatible with today's norms of productivity. But idleness can be productive if this temporary emptiness of the mind and letting go of the motions invites modes of expressions and ideas that would not come alive if we were to be constantly engaged without pauses. In idleness, we are letting our extraordinary minds wander. And when we let our minds wander, we are letting ourselves grow and letting our souls just, be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's always 1001 things to do

Now, I supposed most Singaporean bloggers will harp about the flood at Orchard Road. I shall skip that, although I'd like to add that I actually woke up this morning (11 am) feeling so good because the weather's nice. Little did I know for two hours there was a flood at Orchard Road and to think that such occurences are rarity. Ok I hope they would start doing something to the drainage system. Working at Media C. for 2 days was quite an experience, except that Aiman and I did nothing much on Sunday and we kind of did a million more things on Monday because we had ongoing tasks to do. Plus we've met exciting people and also, hmm, interesting people (of whom we secretly gave nicknames for us to refer to). I suddenly thought of The Devil Wears Prada and I actually wonder how the life of assistants are in this line of work, are they really treated like shit? Is that a part of climbing up the ladder in this career path? Ok random. The awesome thing is really to see how they swi...

Dumbledore

I know this is probably another random entry. But I'm excited for Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows movie and I suddenly thought about the day when I read through the final pages of Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince. I must admit, I was actually mourning for the great Albus Dumbledore when he died (or got killed rather). Not the kind of mourning that goes on for days, just a momentary one. And I pictured in my mind, how everyone in Hogwarts were mourning for their beloved Headmaster and how solemn the environment must have felt to the extent that I actually thought that the bedroom where I was, in this tiny, little Singapore, felt equally dull and grey as well. It's impressive how characters come alive like that and reel me into the world of stories. I even had texted Revathi about how sad I felt when I was done with the book. Pardon for the melodrama, but it's the power of narration, and of course the brilliant writer herself, J.K Rowling. And certainly, the mo...

Artichoke

HAHA! Si tu le dis : you know what archuleta sounds like Si tu le dis : it sounds like artichokes sakinah : what! sakinah : HAHA sakinah : YEAH! sakinah : the french vegetable! Si tu le dis : thus, vegetables. As a matter of fact, I did taste artichoke, and it's pretty good. Very delicious vegetable indeed, right Alvin? HAHAHAH!