Skip to main content

The light at the end of the unknown

Today I am convinced that what we truly fear the most is really the unknown. Amongst all the greatest fears, it would be this.

Ideally, perhaps for the majority of us, want to lead predictable lives where we can plan our next step, our next move. We want to know that there is something waiting for us the moment we complete a certain phase in life. We want to map out our whole life and we want to follow the route we have carved in our minds. We want to be prepared. To be prepared for what is to come. To be prepared for a certain mishap that may come. To be prepared for anything.

Perhaps the unknown is terrifying to us that we ever so conscientiously map out our lives. And when we get stuck, we get anxious. Like there is a void that needs filling. And when we don't know where to go from there, we feel like such an utter failure.

People would ask, so what do you plan to do after this then? (you get such questions after being around in an organization for a couple of years or so). And when someone says "oh this and that, but nothing concrete", you get mixed responses.

Which led me to wonder really. Why have we become so obsessed with planning? There is no denying that planning is important, having goals and aspirations are important. To know the means to pursue them is important. But on the other side of the scale, having a certain level of a 'break' or 'space' from the typical linear way of leading a life can bring benefits (hooray for some of us out here who are feeling lost). Don't we need some down time to evaluate where we are at some point in our lives? To re-evaluate and re-analyse and then to re-align some of the goals we used to have to our current aspirations and needs/wants? Else we would be like running on autopilot and this is a seriously agonizing, dehumanizing process.

What if we just learn to embrace the unknown? And let things unfold and unravel the way they are supposed to. And not freak out when we really are somewhat clueless on where to go from here. And for once, let go of the so-called "security" we have gotten accustomed to and have gotten comfortable with. Life isn't meant for us to live so cautiously, but to be a little bit of a YOLO once in awhile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dumbledore

I know this is probably another random entry. But I'm excited for Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows movie and I suddenly thought about the day when I read through the final pages of Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince. I must admit, I was actually mourning for the great Albus Dumbledore when he died (or got killed rather). Not the kind of mourning that goes on for days, just a momentary one. And I pictured in my mind, how everyone in Hogwarts were mourning for their beloved Headmaster and how solemn the environment must have felt to the extent that I actually thought that the bedroom where I was, in this tiny, little Singapore, felt equally dull and grey as well. It's impressive how characters come alive like that and reel me into the world of stories. I even had texted Revathi about how sad I felt when I was done with the book. Pardon for the melodrama, but it's the power of narration, and of course the brilliant writer herself, J.K Rowling. And certainly, the mo...

Artichoke

HAHA! Si tu le dis : you know what archuleta sounds like Si tu le dis : it sounds like artichokes sakinah : what! sakinah : HAHA sakinah : YEAH! sakinah : the french vegetable! Si tu le dis : thus, vegetables. As a matter of fact, I did taste artichoke, and it's pretty good. Very delicious vegetable indeed, right Alvin? HAHAHAH!

There's always 1001 things to do

Now, I supposed most Singaporean bloggers will harp about the flood at Orchard Road. I shall skip that, although I'd like to add that I actually woke up this morning (11 am) feeling so good because the weather's nice. Little did I know for two hours there was a flood at Orchard Road and to think that such occurences are rarity. Ok I hope they would start doing something to the drainage system. Working at Media C. for 2 days was quite an experience, except that Aiman and I did nothing much on Sunday and we kind of did a million more things on Monday because we had ongoing tasks to do. Plus we've met exciting people and also, hmm, interesting people (of whom we secretly gave nicknames for us to refer to). I suddenly thought of The Devil Wears Prada and I actually wonder how the life of assistants are in this line of work, are they really treated like shit? Is that a part of climbing up the ladder in this career path? Ok random. The awesome thing is really to see how they swi...