Skip to main content

Connections

In a crazy, wired world like today, we are too connected that we are isolated. Outpouring of information coming from all directions and from various mediums, neverending tasks and demands, worries, and then even short-term pleasure of company, food and entertainment, that we barely have time for ourselves.

Are we so used to these other kinds of connections that we feel so out of place, fearing the real connection? Because the real connection first brings us to confront ourselves where we find ourselves alone after having completed the tasks for the day, attended to all which needs attending, to finally attend to ourselves. Our selves, alone to face our innermost thoughts, worries, fears. Due to a long passage of time being so disconnected with self, we cannot handle the inner truths. We experience anxiety, pain and discomfort. It seems overwhelming and we grasp to fix them but we don't know where to begin. We are lost. We have lost ourselves. And so we start to run away and run into the arms of these other connections, keeping ourselves occupied, anything to avoid our selves. We fall into this cycle where we create fake connections as means of distraction to fill whatever spaces and void left. And before we know it, this becomes a cycle. We don't even know it we're in this cycle as we are people of habits.

Then what happens to the genuine connections? The heartfelt, soulful, honest and authentic type of connections. Our soul needs these more than ever. A connection with a loved one, connection with a Divine presence, a connection with self.

And I am more certain than ever, that that's all we probably need to survive in this day and age of high-end technology and in the insane rat race in the corporate world. It has become so advanced and so demanding, we forget the real connections. We fall into the trap of an illusory reality which convinces us that we need all these other connections to thrive in this world, to attain success and to achieve happiness. But this illusion of a cycle actually disconnects us even further and farther which then lead to the loss of selves. 

So we have to first admit. Admit that what we are all really seeking for, are real and genuine connections. It isn't a sign of weakness, it is okay to feel a bit lonely sometimes, it is okay to want to put out your hand and reach out for something that is real. It is a sign of strength. And most importantly, it is being human.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dumbledore

I know this is probably another random entry. But I'm excited for Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows movie and I suddenly thought about the day when I read through the final pages of Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince. I must admit, I was actually mourning for the great Albus Dumbledore when he died (or got killed rather). Not the kind of mourning that goes on for days, just a momentary one. And I pictured in my mind, how everyone in Hogwarts were mourning for their beloved Headmaster and how solemn the environment must have felt to the extent that I actually thought that the bedroom where I was, in this tiny, little Singapore, felt equally dull and grey as well. It's impressive how characters come alive like that and reel me into the world of stories. I even had texted Revathi about how sad I felt when I was done with the book. Pardon for the melodrama, but it's the power of narration, and of course the brilliant writer herself, J.K Rowling. And certainly, the mo...

Artichoke

HAHA! Si tu le dis : you know what archuleta sounds like Si tu le dis : it sounds like artichokes sakinah : what! sakinah : HAHA sakinah : YEAH! sakinah : the french vegetable! Si tu le dis : thus, vegetables. As a matter of fact, I did taste artichoke, and it's pretty good. Very delicious vegetable indeed, right Alvin? HAHAHAH!

There's always 1001 things to do

Now, I supposed most Singaporean bloggers will harp about the flood at Orchard Road. I shall skip that, although I'd like to add that I actually woke up this morning (11 am) feeling so good because the weather's nice. Little did I know for two hours there was a flood at Orchard Road and to think that such occurences are rarity. Ok I hope they would start doing something to the drainage system. Working at Media C. for 2 days was quite an experience, except that Aiman and I did nothing much on Sunday and we kind of did a million more things on Monday because we had ongoing tasks to do. Plus we've met exciting people and also, hmm, interesting people (of whom we secretly gave nicknames for us to refer to). I suddenly thought of The Devil Wears Prada and I actually wonder how the life of assistants are in this line of work, are they really treated like shit? Is that a part of climbing up the ladder in this career path? Ok random. The awesome thing is really to see how they swi...