Skip to main content

Ameer-al Mu'mineen

"'Ana madinatul 'ilm, wa Aliyyun baboo ha." The Prophet (peace be upon him) had said that he is the City of Knowledge and Ali is the Gate to that knowledge.

And I am still in disbelief that I had sat before that gate amongst hundreds of thousands under the twilight in the early waking hours. And on another cold, beautiful night, entering into the holy vicinity and witnessing the gate of his shrine, shining brilliantly and reflecting its splendour of gold.

And now, 2 months on, it had sinked into me that this was probably the closest to divinity that I had ever been. I had just stood before a resting body of a great, awe-inspiring leader. Dead physically, but a soul that is so alive till today. This man, who had embraced Islam while he was a young boy out of his unwavering love and belief in the Prophet. He, who had taught us the essence of the greater jihad resounding the true teachings of the Prophet through his behaviours and actions. A man who fought his nafs more furiously than he fought in the battlefields. This man who taught us not to let anything else in but God. He, whose every step and deed only taught us how to love God and how to follow the footsteps of His beloved Prophet. Even the Quran referred him as one who had given "food out of love for Him to the poor, the orphan and the captive" [76:8]. He, who had worn a mask to keep his identity anonymous while providing food to the poor and the needy. He was the best student to the Prophet. His special relationship to the Prophet was how Aaron was to Moses, except that Ali wasn't a Prophet. But he, a wali, a successor, a master. A person after the Prophet with the best of akhlaq and character.

And 2 months on, how can I not go weak in my knees that I had actually stood before this great personality? Had I been fully awakened and enlightened and stood upright in true awe and love for him? Was I in the best of state?

And now that I have passed through his gate, am I ready then to go into the City of Knowledge?

God-willing, God-willing.

"Your remedy is within you, but you do not sense it. Your sickness is from you, but you do not perceive it. You presume you are a small entity, but within you is enfolded the entire Universe. You are indeed the Evident Book, by whose alphabet, the Hidden becomes Manifest. Therefore you have no need to look beyond yourself. What you seek is within you, if only you reflect." 

- Imam Ali Ibn Abi Talib

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming my voice

It has been more than 2 years since I published anything on this blog. I have written a few reflections quite abit during this time, but they are mostly in draft versions, probably reflective of the scatteredness of my thought processes, or the ongoing engagement with the topic which has yet found a proper resolve (or is there ever a resolve really?), or just me finding mere words to articulate my thoughts that are waiting to be entertained and possibly verbalised or written. I'm driven to write this post precisely because I can't entirely ignore the nagging voice inside my head, telling me to use writing as a tool to not only express myself, but to reclaim my voice. It is such an insanely noisy world. The constant stream of information from different online platforms not only pull me from various directions, but it spreads my attention too thin that it is impossible to follow one stream of thought, sit on it for awhile, slowly reflect and if possible, articulate it. It is not

Information vs. Knowledge

“To know how to put what knowledge in which place is wisdom. Otherwise, knowledge without order and seeking it without discipline does lead to confusion and hence to injustice to one's self.” - Syed Muhammad Naquib Al-Attas This week's key takeaway for me is that; knowledge requires knowing its proper order and place.  Everything else is just information.

Infinity

unbounded to any definitions or limits, existing but not adequately known. this entity, being constantly talked about, pulls like an unbeatable gravitational force. we are always approaching, almost touching, existing in tandem, still, not yet meeting Infinity the eventual meeting where there are no bounds