Skip to main content

Ameer-al Mu'mineen

"'Ana madinatul 'ilm, wa Aliyyun baboo ha." The Prophet (peace be upon him) had said that he is the City of Knowledge and Ali is the Gate to that knowledge.

And I am still in disbelief that I had sat before that gate amongst hundreds of thousands under the twilight in the early waking hours. And on another cold, beautiful night, entering into the holy vicinity and witnessing the gate of his shrine, shining brilliantly and reflecting its splendour of gold.

And now, 2 months on, it had sinked into me that this was probably the closest to divinity that I had ever been. I had just stood before a resting body of a great, awe-inspiring leader. Dead physically, but a soul that is so alive till today. This man, who had embraced Islam while he was a young boy out of his unwavering love and belief in the Prophet. He, who had taught us the essence of the greater jihad resounding the true teachings of the Prophet through his behaviours and actions. A man who fought his nafs more furiously than he fought in the battlefields. This man who taught us not to let anything else in but God. He, whose every step and deed only taught us how to love God and how to follow the footsteps of His beloved Prophet. Even the Quran referred him as one who had given "food out of love for Him to the poor, the orphan and the captive" [76:8]. He, who had worn a mask to keep his identity anonymous while providing food to the poor and the needy. He was the best student to the Prophet. His special relationship to the Prophet was how Aaron was to Moses, except that Ali wasn't a Prophet. But he, a wali, a successor, a master. A person after the Prophet with the best of akhlaq and character.

And 2 months on, how can I not go weak in my knees that I had actually stood before this great personality? Had I been fully awakened and enlightened and stood upright in true awe and love for him? Was I in the best of state?

And now that I have passed through his gate, am I ready then to go into the City of Knowledge?

God-willing, God-willing.

"Your remedy is within you, but you do not sense it. Your sickness is from you, but you do not perceive it. You presume you are a small entity, but within you is enfolded the entire Universe. You are indeed the Evident Book, by whose alphabet, the Hidden becomes Manifest. Therefore you have no need to look beyond yourself. What you seek is within you, if only you reflect." 

- Imam Ali Ibn Abi Talib

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to basics

Once again the heavy downpour. Certainly the rhythmic sound of the rain, slapping against the floor, against the windows, have conjured images in our heads of the pleasant idea of sleeping, or reading with hot cocoa (but of course this wouldn't be possible due to fasting), or just snuggling up in bed. How nice. But here I am almost dressed and ready for school. I don't know why, but it has been quite some time since I felt like I've been in school, like proper school. Perhaps it's the three days mc I've got. But now, I feel like I'm energized despite fasting, all set and ready for school. The scent of cooking porridge and spaghetti made me all excited to get through 2 lectures, one meeting and a bus ride home back welcomed by the sumptuous breaking fast meal although I'd only be back by eight-ish. Today shall be the first in a long time I'd make an appearance in French class. It's been more than a week. Wish me luck that my temperature won't rise...

Artichoke

HAHA! Si tu le dis : you know what archuleta sounds like Si tu le dis : it sounds like artichokes sakinah : what! sakinah : HAHA sakinah : YEAH! sakinah : the french vegetable! Si tu le dis : thus, vegetables. As a matter of fact, I did taste artichoke, and it's pretty good. Very delicious vegetable indeed, right Alvin? HAHAHAH!

I need a challenge

Now I feel like doing just one thing and that's just it. So far I feel like I've been running around doing a million random things, like tuitioning, and then to autism centre for volunteer, and then interviewing dialysis patients. And then soon I will be helping khalilah with a one-day media corp thing and there's gonna be YOG training soon. I need to just do one thing, I'm feeling kind of bored just being here and there, and everywhere. KL for 3 days was awesome. Being high during the course of the trip was an understatement. Shopping there was a disappointment though, hopefully I'll be able to go there again in July and perhaps the sales would be better. But food wasn't a letdown at all. I wish the trip was longer though. Actually, I just feel like being in some faraway place to get a good feel of holiday mood because I don't feel much of a holiday just being in Singapore. Dream on. I also need to find some good deal of time to read. I hate it that everyti...