Skip to main content

Re-awakening

Of course nobody likes the flu bug. We groan and sigh because we just have that too many things to do that we cannot afford to fall sick. And then we blame the "bug", or the people whom we have come in contact with 24 hours prior to experiencing the first onset of flu (normally would be a terrible sore throat for me). But of course at the end of the day, we blame ourselves for failing to immunize ourselves against these viruses and bacteria floating around in the hot, humid Singapore air. To have come to this point, I am aghast at how we tend respond to falling sick.

Sometime back, I was down with a mild fever (and probably a diarrhea that did not really manifest itself very well, thankfully) after my weekend trip in Bintan, and what I suspected, after savouring the delectable street food. On Monday, I went to see the doctor and I was given a 2-days MC as he was afraid I had dengue. But of course, I had too many things to do, I stubbornly went back to work on Tuesday, and only to realize that I was still not well when I was at my workstation. Thankfully for great colleagues who had forced me to go back home, I obliged, only to be reassured by bringing home my work laptop, in hopes to do some work. The good news is, I did not do any work. Honestly, why was I feeling miserable for falling sick for reasons other than the sickness itself? Just because I was not able to complete some paper work? And had to re-schedule my clients? I learnt that even in this line of job, health remains the main priority. So instead, I spent some time reading a book, watching a Nicholas Sparks movie and my Korean dramas, and getting inspired by other things other than work-related stuff.

And since I've been hit with the flu bug on Friday, I am feeling at total rest for the weekend. I was reminded of how I have always viewed the flu bug since I was young. I actually liked the flu bug. Of course not the coarse and dry throat that no water could cure instantly, or the nasal voice, or the phlegm, or the chills, but I like how my body slows down, how my mind works a little slower, a little less sharper - it is as if my mind is in this process of emptying itself. Which rarely happen because my mind has the potential to be in this state of convoluted organized mess (as how I want to see it) - filled up with, unfortunately, now, predominantly work. I do not blame my job. In fact, I love my job, but as a caseworker dealing with people's lives, their stories do fill up some corners of my brain (definitely a signal to improve my way of managing work and my ability to separate work and life).

When I was younger, each time I was down with a flu, I tend to watch "You've Got Mail", one of my favourite romantic comedies. I love the interactions and the chemistry between Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks in this movie. It's either that, or other romance/comedy films. This correlation seemed interesting, because this was usually the case when I felt sick. In my weakest, most vulnerable state, it is as if I have this desire to want to connect with my emotions. Not to say that I am very distant from my emotional self, I am very much in tune with my emotions, but this desire seemed far greater when I am sick, when I am least guarded, and when my inner voices nagging at the back of my mind are turned off.

When the body breaks down, it signals for rest. To rest the body and mind. And in this process of my mind emptying itself, this weary soul desires it to make more room for something greater. It is as if it is whispering, hello there universe, inspire me.

This soul needs to be re-awakened.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dumbledore

I know this is probably another random entry. But I'm excited for Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows movie and I suddenly thought about the day when I read through the final pages of Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince. I must admit, I was actually mourning for the great Albus Dumbledore when he died (or got killed rather). Not the kind of mourning that goes on for days, just a momentary one. And I pictured in my mind, how everyone in Hogwarts were mourning for their beloved Headmaster and how solemn the environment must have felt to the extent that I actually thought that the bedroom where I was, in this tiny, little Singapore, felt equally dull and grey as well. It's impressive how characters come alive like that and reel me into the world of stories. I even had texted Revathi about how sad I felt when I was done with the book. Pardon for the melodrama, but it's the power of narration, and of course the brilliant writer herself, J.K Rowling. And certainly, the mo...

Artichoke

HAHA! Si tu le dis : you know what archuleta sounds like Si tu le dis : it sounds like artichokes sakinah : what! sakinah : HAHA sakinah : YEAH! sakinah : the french vegetable! Si tu le dis : thus, vegetables. As a matter of fact, I did taste artichoke, and it's pretty good. Very delicious vegetable indeed, right Alvin? HAHAHAH!

There's always 1001 things to do

Now, I supposed most Singaporean bloggers will harp about the flood at Orchard Road. I shall skip that, although I'd like to add that I actually woke up this morning (11 am) feeling so good because the weather's nice. Little did I know for two hours there was a flood at Orchard Road and to think that such occurences are rarity. Ok I hope they would start doing something to the drainage system. Working at Media C. for 2 days was quite an experience, except that Aiman and I did nothing much on Sunday and we kind of did a million more things on Monday because we had ongoing tasks to do. Plus we've met exciting people and also, hmm, interesting people (of whom we secretly gave nicknames for us to refer to). I suddenly thought of The Devil Wears Prada and I actually wonder how the life of assistants are in this line of work, are they really treated like shit? Is that a part of climbing up the ladder in this career path? Ok random. The awesome thing is really to see how they swi...