Skip to main content

Life stories

Although there are some days when I feel like pulling my hair, or finding myself sounding super-duper firm that I scare myself and having a headache thereafter, and having to adjust back to being compassionate through advising and counselling, I feel so thankful to be able to meet different people from all sorts of backgrounds.

They can add on to my pile of work, just by conveniently deciding to break the law again, or run away from Singapore. I have people who would make me laugh, just because the things they say are so innocently funny and how they make me smile, when they share with me what they had done with their families over the weekends, or what they have learnt from the programmes and courses. Or when I have to give a warning when the most ridiculous excuse thrown at me for not turning up for reporting was "I don't want you to work late ah Ma'am, I feel bad." and anyhow decided on my behalf. I enjoy learning from the streetwise people, and especially from my boys who would share with me about how they can spend hours playing their online games (somehow, most of them play 'blackshot') and remote control racing games at a reservoir, and those who teach me a thing or two about computers, laptops and well, machines that I know nuts about. And how I am quietly giggly when my girls share with me their boy stories or how they complained about them, and  how I have to help them deal with their emotional problems. I like the sleuthing work just to show that they cannot anyhow play punk with me, by lying to me or withholding some important information. I like how I have somehow learnt to master the poker face, because any information that is shared, is a big-deal to them, like how adventures mean hunting for ghosts at old hospitals with their friends. I like how close I am to the ground, to remind me each time on how real the problems are; the difficulty of finding/keeping a job, the difficulty of resisting some peers, and the financial problems. I like how it can be very challenging, when I get cases who would tear every now and then during reportings, or when they are upset over what others would see as seemingly trivial things, and how I need to help them build their self-esteem and resiliency. And the best part is, to feel the rapport slowly being built with the cases with time.

Thus far, it has been a very humbling experience.

And you truly realize that everyone indeed, has a story.



Comments

  1. Hi theгe ϳust ωanted to gіve yоu a quick heаdѕ up and let
    yοu know a feω of thе ρiсtures
    аren't loading properly. I'm not suгe why
    but Ι thіnk іts a linkіng
    iѕsue. I've tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same outcome.

    Also visit my website :: MintedPoker Bonus

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming my voice

It has been more than 2 years since I published anything on this blog. I have written a few reflections quite abit during this time, but they are mostly in draft versions, probably reflective of the scatteredness of my thought processes, or the ongoing engagement with the topic which has yet found a proper resolve (or is there ever a resolve really?), or just me finding mere words to articulate my thoughts that are waiting to be entertained and possibly verbalised or written. I'm driven to write this post precisely because I can't entirely ignore the nagging voice inside my head, telling me to use writing as a tool to not only express myself, but to reclaim my voice. It is such an insanely noisy world. The constant stream of information from different online platforms not only pull me from various directions, but it spreads my attention too thin that it is impossible to follow one stream of thought, sit on it for awhile, slowly reflect and if possible, articulate it. It is not

Information vs. Knowledge

“To know how to put what knowledge in which place is wisdom. Otherwise, knowledge without order and seeking it without discipline does lead to confusion and hence to injustice to one's self.” - Syed Muhammad Naquib Al-Attas This week's key takeaway for me is that; knowledge requires knowing its proper order and place.  Everything else is just information.

Infinity

unbounded to any definitions or limits, existing but not adequately known. this entity, being constantly talked about, pulls like an unbeatable gravitational force. we are always approaching, almost touching, existing in tandem, still, not yet meeting Infinity the eventual meeting where there are no bounds