Skip to main content

Final week of October

I must say that my last week of October was eventful. There were days that were enriching, and there were days that were fun-filled.

  • Things at work underwent major restructuring and there was a huge event where everyone came together as one, one last time. Didn't sign up for any activities on that day, but spontaneously ended up learning introductory Salsa and did archery. Super duper fun.
  • Caught David Cook live. I was really contented because he played about like, 10 songs. I must say it was worth waiting 2 hours for him to finally appear on stage. Thanks to a close friend who asked me to come along and follow her for this event because she's a major David Cook fan. The last time I saw him was through a video conferencing the same friend won tickets for.
  • Was invited for an interfaith dialogue (Islam-Judaism) at a synagogue. Very eye-opening as I've never stepped into one before, and I certainly have never met or spoken to a rabbi before. Had kosher food, and of course I feel happiest with awesome food, yum. I'd say that the general takeaway on that day is learning that there is a need to agree to disagree. And dialogues are meant to be tense, otherwise, it wouldn't be called a dialogue, in my humble opinion. Only through dialogues, we get to slowly step into uncharted areas and uncover more differences, major or subtle, and to finally see where are the areas that can or cannot be agreed upon. And to slowly recognize and acknowledge these differences.
  • Got acquainted with a group of Iranians who are staying in Singapore for a week. They were hosted by a prof whom my close friend linked me up to (merci beaucoup ma chérie!). The ladies are simply lovely. It was a day of cultural exchange for me as I got to interact with them and went to places. We went to the Armenian church and the Singapore Arts Museum where there was an exhibition displaying the Southeast Asian Islamic art that I've been meaning to see ever since awhile back. 
  • Went to a Halloween event at USS. I'm ok with haunted houses and ghouls and stuff, but my idea of thrill is more inclined towards the roller coasters although the whole point of attending this event initially was for the Halloween stuff. But I must say that everything was very well done; the props and make-up and the setting. I especially think that the whole misty thing was good because we couldn't see anything and the next moment, you can possibly get a heart attack by the looming ghost.
  • Attended an intra-faith dialogue. I was especially looking forward to this one. I hope that there would be more follow-ups of such dialogues as I see the need for the larger community to recognize that there are subcultures within the cultural group itself. There is a need to create awareness of the existence of different sects under the same faith, and there is a need to have dialogues to dispel misconceptions and doubts. Only through these dialogues, there exists a gradual process of understanding whereby social cohesion can be achieved.
  • Went to Turkish Cultural Centre, which is so homey and comfy! The home-cooked food was excellent and again, my eyes lit up with so much delight, for, FOOD. It was an evening of cultural exposure for me and learning more about the Turkish culture in a nutshell. I was especially inspired after that night, and all the more I would like to see Turkey sometime in the near/distant future. I was also inspired by the works of a Turkish scholar, Fethullah Gülen (do check him out!)  and by his humanistic and spiritual approach to faith, which is very much in sync with my belief system. After that, they played some Turkish music and there were people dancing. And the highlight was when the prof did zapin, a dance which I hope to learn sometime.

I am immensely grateful :)

The year is coming to an end sooner than I expect it to and why hello there, November!
May this month be kind to us all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's always 1001 things to do

Now, I supposed most Singaporean bloggers will harp about the flood at Orchard Road. I shall skip that, although I'd like to add that I actually woke up this morning (11 am) feeling so good because the weather's nice. Little did I know for two hours there was a flood at Orchard Road and to think that such occurences are rarity. Ok I hope they would start doing something to the drainage system. Working at Media C. for 2 days was quite an experience, except that Aiman and I did nothing much on Sunday and we kind of did a million more things on Monday because we had ongoing tasks to do. Plus we've met exciting people and also, hmm, interesting people (of whom we secretly gave nicknames for us to refer to). I suddenly thought of The Devil Wears Prada and I actually wonder how the life of assistants are in this line of work, are they really treated like shit? Is that a part of climbing up the ladder in this career path? Ok random. The awesome thing is really to see how they swi...

Dumbledore

I know this is probably another random entry. But I'm excited for Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows movie and I suddenly thought about the day when I read through the final pages of Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince. I must admit, I was actually mourning for the great Albus Dumbledore when he died (or got killed rather). Not the kind of mourning that goes on for days, just a momentary one. And I pictured in my mind, how everyone in Hogwarts were mourning for their beloved Headmaster and how solemn the environment must have felt to the extent that I actually thought that the bedroom where I was, in this tiny, little Singapore, felt equally dull and grey as well. It's impressive how characters come alive like that and reel me into the world of stories. I even had texted Revathi about how sad I felt when I was done with the book. Pardon for the melodrama, but it's the power of narration, and of course the brilliant writer herself, J.K Rowling. And certainly, the mo...

Artichoke

HAHA! Si tu le dis : you know what archuleta sounds like Si tu le dis : it sounds like artichokes sakinah : what! sakinah : HAHA sakinah : YEAH! sakinah : the french vegetable! Si tu le dis : thus, vegetables. As a matter of fact, I did taste artichoke, and it's pretty good. Very delicious vegetable indeed, right Alvin? HAHAHAH!