Skip to main content

Attention

What struck me as an interesting phenomenon I stumbled into last week was how an untouched tupperware of pineapple tarts is almost empty right now as I'm typing this. That poor tupperware has been resting on the television cabinet for 2 months. All I had to do was to bring it into the study room so I could start munching on some while watching my Korean drama and then leave it there next to the computer. And for the next few days, voilà, almost half of tarts were eaten. Of course, by everyone else at home. All I had to do, was to make it more reachable, more visible. And these pineapple tarts were so good, soft tart shells and really sweet fillings.

There has been claims of 'out of sight, out of mind' phenomenon which I cannot completely attest to because there cannot be things we can completely get rid of despite the physical absence. Things such as memories. But on the flipside, we can make things more salient if we push them enough to exist within our attention span. And the mind can slowly register and then we start to realize how abandoned these things have been.

There are many things which are chucked aside and hidden which we may have forgotten. So before some important things are forever forgotten, we need to place them somewhere within the vicinity of our attention range.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's always 1001 things to do

Now, I supposed most Singaporean bloggers will harp about the flood at Orchard Road. I shall skip that, although I'd like to add that I actually woke up this morning (11 am) feeling so good because the weather's nice. Little did I know for two hours there was a flood at Orchard Road and to think that such occurences are rarity. Ok I hope they would start doing something to the drainage system. Working at Media C. for 2 days was quite an experience, except that Aiman and I did nothing much on Sunday and we kind of did a million more things on Monday because we had ongoing tasks to do. Plus we've met exciting people and also, hmm, interesting people (of whom we secretly gave nicknames for us to refer to). I suddenly thought of The Devil Wears Prada and I actually wonder how the life of assistants are in this line of work, are they really treated like shit? Is that a part of climbing up the ladder in this career path? Ok random. The awesome thing is really to see how they swi...

Dumbledore

I know this is probably another random entry. But I'm excited for Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows movie and I suddenly thought about the day when I read through the final pages of Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince. I must admit, I was actually mourning for the great Albus Dumbledore when he died (or got killed rather). Not the kind of mourning that goes on for days, just a momentary one. And I pictured in my mind, how everyone in Hogwarts were mourning for their beloved Headmaster and how solemn the environment must have felt to the extent that I actually thought that the bedroom where I was, in this tiny, little Singapore, felt equally dull and grey as well. It's impressive how characters come alive like that and reel me into the world of stories. I even had texted Revathi about how sad I felt when I was done with the book. Pardon for the melodrama, but it's the power of narration, and of course the brilliant writer herself, J.K Rowling. And certainly, the mo...

Artichoke

HAHA! Si tu le dis : you know what archuleta sounds like Si tu le dis : it sounds like artichokes sakinah : what! sakinah : HAHA sakinah : YEAH! sakinah : the french vegetable! Si tu le dis : thus, vegetables. As a matter of fact, I did taste artichoke, and it's pretty good. Very delicious vegetable indeed, right Alvin? HAHAHAH!