Skip to main content

Work so far

Don't we learn something new each day? Mostly I would learn about the job itself, but there are some parts of the day I would learn about the simplest things. Like learning how to pass through the massive security when I have to make a visit to the prisons for work. Even when it was the second visit there, I was still as blur sotong as ever and I had to give that embarrassed laugh to forgive me for my sheer bimbotic-ness. I lost count as to the number of times I had to scan my pass. I learnt that sealing envelopes 3 days in advanced is important to ensure that my mail is reached on time because they contain very important details of someone's life. I learnt that we have gazillions of passwords to everything, be it the share-point, or logging into the computer itself and many more, and you know that you need to write them all down when you realize that your memory is failing you.

I learnt that I should be aware of certain times of the day when the taxi drivers are changing shifts so that I won't have to be rejected 6 times in a row when I'm rushing for another appointment. I also learnt how to outsmart certain taxi drivers for obviously wanting to fool me just so they can get more money by going by the further route and always making unnecessary swerves (which I recently discovered, can actually make me easily super carsick to the max). I learnt that navigating a place full of corridors after corridors which look very much alike cannot be grasped in a day, but rather, in a week in order to familiarize the place without getting lost. And of course, I learnt how important it is to have a pair of comfy slippers in the office, which I have yet gotten.

There are so many interesting lunch conversations to have, and the topics know no boundaries; it can range from sharing our viewpoints about life in general, to your typical gripes and technicalities related to work, to something purely intellectual. The other day, I learnt all about lactation, breast-feeding and c-sections. I am certain my eyes were the widest; it was an hour of epiphany for me, perhaps because 50% of the people at that lunch table are married and have kids and that they already know these things. I also learnt not to have too dramatic reaction when it was shared that some of my colleagues are already married or have kids just because they look super young (and that is a compliment really). I shall see this as a reflection of the company's values and that it is supportive enough for people to have and build families :)

I learnt that nobody here introduces themselves as they ought to (and I really mean, NOBODY). The first day I came to work, I thought my manager holds the same position as me to which she humbly agreed. And so for the first couple of weeks, I learnt how to do a fair bit of research on someone first so I know very well who I'm speaking to without unintentionally downgrading them. I don't remember a day I wasn't staring at the organization chart intently. I also learnt that my bosses are pretty cool people; ranging from their amazing ability to express dry, dark humour (SUPER LIKE) and to the funny antics they recently performed for a branch event. I learnt how important initiative is, although I absolutely enjoy lengthy, engaging, 2-hour conversations I have with my supervisor that were clocked each time we couldn't meet the previous times.

I learnt how important it is to have a nonchalant facade sometimes because of the sort of stories I'd hear during the day that may be unexpected and un-typical. I learnt how to be appropriately nonchalant about people's nonchalance on serious issues, situations and events, although I still wonder about their nonchalance thereafter. I also need to learn better ways to control my easily amused self besides biting on my own lips. I learnt that "close" is really subjective, closeness can mean having family dinner everyday in the week to one person, while closeness can also mean providing sufficient income to the family to another person. I learn that there will always be grey areas and most of the time, it's a judgement call for me. I also learn that it is crucial to never impose my own value system and acknowledge that everyone has been exposed to their own unique set of life experiences in which they grow up with. I learn that outward behaviour and facial expressions, although speak volumes most of the time, do not do accurate justice to certain groups of people. Doesn't mean a person is smiling all the time despite being blatantly scolded, that he or she is unable to feel remorse; to feel remorse is different from showing remorse. For all we know, this person might be suffering from a mild mental illness.

I learnt that everyone has a story to tell, even behind the cheery face and the carefree smiles, behind the heavily tattoo-ed arms and funny piercings, behind the seemingly close family dynamics the family portrays. And that these stories are important because it is only easy for anyone to take things at face value and be so quick to dismiss underlying reasons as to why people do the things they do and why they turned out the way they are. I learnt that sometimes it takes one small change to improve other major things subsequently. And sometimes, belief is all that is needed to propel a person forward. I learnt that resilience is indeed an almost innate trait I've come to believe that we all possess despite unfortunate circumstances life can possibly give.

And I believe and would like to continue believing that with substantial amount of motivation and realization, that anyone who has err-ed and made mistakes, can find within himself and herself, to change. With time, guidance and opportunity.

Ever since I've been here, I've been hearing this powerful quote being shared, and would like to end this entry with.

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming my voice

It has been more than 2 years since I published anything on this blog. I have written a few reflections quite abit during this time, but they are mostly in draft versions, probably reflective of the scatteredness of my thought processes, or the ongoing engagement with the topic which has yet found a proper resolve (or is there ever a resolve really?), or just me finding mere words to articulate my thoughts that are waiting to be entertained and possibly verbalised or written. I'm driven to write this post precisely because I can't entirely ignore the nagging voice inside my head, telling me to use writing as a tool to not only express myself, but to reclaim my voice. It is such an insanely noisy world. The constant stream of information from different online platforms not only pull me from various directions, but it spreads my attention too thin that it is impossible to follow one stream of thought, sit on it for awhile, slowly reflect and if possible, articulate it. It is not

Information vs. Knowledge

“To know how to put what knowledge in which place is wisdom. Otherwise, knowledge without order and seeking it without discipline does lead to confusion and hence to injustice to one's self.” - Syed Muhammad Naquib Al-Attas This week's key takeaway for me is that; knowledge requires knowing its proper order and place.  Everything else is just information.

Infinity

unbounded to any definitions or limits, existing but not adequately known. this entity, being constantly talked about, pulls like an unbeatable gravitational force. we are always approaching, almost touching, existing in tandem, still, not yet meeting Infinity the eventual meeting where there are no bounds