Skip to main content

Work so far

Don't we learn something new each day? Mostly I would learn about the job itself, but there are some parts of the day I would learn about the simplest things. Like learning how to pass through the massive security when I have to make a visit to the prisons for work. Even when it was the second visit there, I was still as blur sotong as ever and I had to give that embarrassed laugh to forgive me for my sheer bimbotic-ness. I lost count as to the number of times I had to scan my pass. I learnt that sealing envelopes 3 days in advanced is important to ensure that my mail is reached on time because they contain very important details of someone's life. I learnt that we have gazillions of passwords to everything, be it the share-point, or logging into the computer itself and many more, and you know that you need to write them all down when you realize that your memory is failing you.

I learnt that I should be aware of certain times of the day when the taxi drivers are changing shifts so that I won't have to be rejected 6 times in a row when I'm rushing for another appointment. I also learnt how to outsmart certain taxi drivers for obviously wanting to fool me just so they can get more money by going by the further route and always making unnecessary swerves (which I recently discovered, can actually make me easily super carsick to the max). I learnt that navigating a place full of corridors after corridors which look very much alike cannot be grasped in a day, but rather, in a week in order to familiarize the place without getting lost. And of course, I learnt how important it is to have a pair of comfy slippers in the office, which I have yet gotten.

There are so many interesting lunch conversations to have, and the topics know no boundaries; it can range from sharing our viewpoints about life in general, to your typical gripes and technicalities related to work, to something purely intellectual. The other day, I learnt all about lactation, breast-feeding and c-sections. I am certain my eyes were the widest; it was an hour of epiphany for me, perhaps because 50% of the people at that lunch table are married and have kids and that they already know these things. I also learnt not to have too dramatic reaction when it was shared that some of my colleagues are already married or have kids just because they look super young (and that is a compliment really). I shall see this as a reflection of the company's values and that it is supportive enough for people to have and build families :)

I learnt that nobody here introduces themselves as they ought to (and I really mean, NOBODY). The first day I came to work, I thought my manager holds the same position as me to which she humbly agreed. And so for the first couple of weeks, I learnt how to do a fair bit of research on someone first so I know very well who I'm speaking to without unintentionally downgrading them. I don't remember a day I wasn't staring at the organization chart intently. I also learnt that my bosses are pretty cool people; ranging from their amazing ability to express dry, dark humour (SUPER LIKE) and to the funny antics they recently performed for a branch event. I learnt how important initiative is, although I absolutely enjoy lengthy, engaging, 2-hour conversations I have with my supervisor that were clocked each time we couldn't meet the previous times.

I learnt how important it is to have a nonchalant facade sometimes because of the sort of stories I'd hear during the day that may be unexpected and un-typical. I learnt how to be appropriately nonchalant about people's nonchalance on serious issues, situations and events, although I still wonder about their nonchalance thereafter. I also need to learn better ways to control my easily amused self besides biting on my own lips. I learnt that "close" is really subjective, closeness can mean having family dinner everyday in the week to one person, while closeness can also mean providing sufficient income to the family to another person. I learn that there will always be grey areas and most of the time, it's a judgement call for me. I also learn that it is crucial to never impose my own value system and acknowledge that everyone has been exposed to their own unique set of life experiences in which they grow up with. I learn that outward behaviour and facial expressions, although speak volumes most of the time, do not do accurate justice to certain groups of people. Doesn't mean a person is smiling all the time despite being blatantly scolded, that he or she is unable to feel remorse; to feel remorse is different from showing remorse. For all we know, this person might be suffering from a mild mental illness.

I learnt that everyone has a story to tell, even behind the cheery face and the carefree smiles, behind the heavily tattoo-ed arms and funny piercings, behind the seemingly close family dynamics the family portrays. And that these stories are important because it is only easy for anyone to take things at face value and be so quick to dismiss underlying reasons as to why people do the things they do and why they turned out the way they are. I learnt that sometimes it takes one small change to improve other major things subsequently. And sometimes, belief is all that is needed to propel a person forward. I learnt that resilience is indeed an almost innate trait I've come to believe that we all possess despite unfortunate circumstances life can possibly give.

And I believe and would like to continue believing that with substantial amount of motivation and realization, that anyone who has err-ed and made mistakes, can find within himself and herself, to change. With time, guidance and opportunity.

Ever since I've been here, I've been hearing this powerful quote being shared, and would like to end this entry with.

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's always 1001 things to do

Now, I supposed most Singaporean bloggers will harp about the flood at Orchard Road. I shall skip that, although I'd like to add that I actually woke up this morning (11 am) feeling so good because the weather's nice. Little did I know for two hours there was a flood at Orchard Road and to think that such occurences are rarity. Ok I hope they would start doing something to the drainage system. Working at Media C. for 2 days was quite an experience, except that Aiman and I did nothing much on Sunday and we kind of did a million more things on Monday because we had ongoing tasks to do. Plus we've met exciting people and also, hmm, interesting people (of whom we secretly gave nicknames for us to refer to). I suddenly thought of The Devil Wears Prada and I actually wonder how the life of assistants are in this line of work, are they really treated like shit? Is that a part of climbing up the ladder in this career path? Ok random. The awesome thing is really to see how they swi...

Artichoke

HAHA! Si tu le dis : you know what archuleta sounds like Si tu le dis : it sounds like artichokes sakinah : what! sakinah : HAHA sakinah : YEAH! sakinah : the french vegetable! Si tu le dis : thus, vegetables. As a matter of fact, I did taste artichoke, and it's pretty good. Very delicious vegetable indeed, right Alvin? HAHAHAH!

Dumbledore

I know this is probably another random entry. But I'm excited for Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows movie and I suddenly thought about the day when I read through the final pages of Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince. I must admit, I was actually mourning for the great Albus Dumbledore when he died (or got killed rather). Not the kind of mourning that goes on for days, just a momentary one. And I pictured in my mind, how everyone in Hogwarts were mourning for their beloved Headmaster and how solemn the environment must have felt to the extent that I actually thought that the bedroom where I was, in this tiny, little Singapore, felt equally dull and grey as well. It's impressive how characters come alive like that and reel me into the world of stories. I even had texted Revathi about how sad I felt when I was done with the book. Pardon for the melodrama, but it's the power of narration, and of course the brilliant writer herself, J.K Rowling. And certainly, the mo...