Skip to main content

Goodbye routine

Do you have lingering thoughts in your heads whenever you bid farewell to someone? A loved one, a family member, a dear friend, a recently made acquaintance, and a stranger whom you barely know? At least I know I do have them.

There are some farewells when we would go our separate ways, and there would be thoughts like, "Should I turn back?" and "Will the person turn back, too? To share that one last goodbye for the day?". There are some farewells where I would board the bus first, or leave the train first and I would wonder, "Should I search for that person amidst the crowd?" and "Will the person scan her or his eyes to meet mine, too?". There are some farewells when I would enter the lift and I would wonder, "Will the person stay, to have our eyes interlocked and to be smiling at each other, till I go out of the person's sight?" And there are instances when I would doubt, "Oh, the person probably wouldn't turn back, or glance back at me, so, go, go, go, just go and continue walking." But I still do these things, anyway.

Of course, there are times I would be the paisey one, because I would be hopelessly scanning for the person or I would be syiok sendiri, waving so enthusiastically to no one in particular. And then cheesy scenes from those typical movies would be conjured in my mind, depicting the lack of timeliness in the glances. Nonetheless, I absolutely like the thrill of stealing these last few moments to squeeze in more goodbyes and wanting to give that one final good farewell.

What I am certain is that I do not have these thoughts whenever I say goodbye to my dear grandmother. I went to visit my grandparents yesterday and as usual, my grandma would do her goodbye routine. The moment I stepped foot on the ground floor, I would instantly glance up because I know that she would be there. Craning her neck and looking out for me. And I would smile back and wave. And then I'd continue walking across the badminton court, feeling her eyes watching my back as I was headed towards the road. I would continue walking. There would be this little voice, don't be silly, no way would she still be there, because it's been awhile since I've walked, but my stubborn head would look back, because I know, so very well, that she would still be there. From afar, the tiny figure of my grandma and seeing her arms waving at me. We do this routine each time, and I would have about 4 rounds of stopping to turn back, and to give enthusiastic waves.

It breaks my heart each time because in this game, we know very well that she wins. Because I'm the one who has to disappear out of her sight. Because she could stay wherever she was, watching me walk away. I would like to be the one who do that.

Thank you, grandma, for always looking out for me. May God bless you and your kind soul.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's always 1001 things to do

Now, I supposed most Singaporean bloggers will harp about the flood at Orchard Road. I shall skip that, although I'd like to add that I actually woke up this morning (11 am) feeling so good because the weather's nice. Little did I know for two hours there was a flood at Orchard Road and to think that such occurences are rarity. Ok I hope they would start doing something to the drainage system. Working at Media C. for 2 days was quite an experience, except that Aiman and I did nothing much on Sunday and we kind of did a million more things on Monday because we had ongoing tasks to do. Plus we've met exciting people and also, hmm, interesting people (of whom we secretly gave nicknames for us to refer to). I suddenly thought of The Devil Wears Prada and I actually wonder how the life of assistants are in this line of work, are they really treated like shit? Is that a part of climbing up the ladder in this career path? Ok random. The awesome thing is really to see how they swi...

Artichoke

HAHA! Si tu le dis : you know what archuleta sounds like Si tu le dis : it sounds like artichokes sakinah : what! sakinah : HAHA sakinah : YEAH! sakinah : the french vegetable! Si tu le dis : thus, vegetables. As a matter of fact, I did taste artichoke, and it's pretty good. Very delicious vegetable indeed, right Alvin? HAHAHAH!

Dumbledore

I know this is probably another random entry. But I'm excited for Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows movie and I suddenly thought about the day when I read through the final pages of Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince. I must admit, I was actually mourning for the great Albus Dumbledore when he died (or got killed rather). Not the kind of mourning that goes on for days, just a momentary one. And I pictured in my mind, how everyone in Hogwarts were mourning for their beloved Headmaster and how solemn the environment must have felt to the extent that I actually thought that the bedroom where I was, in this tiny, little Singapore, felt equally dull and grey as well. It's impressive how characters come alive like that and reel me into the world of stories. I even had texted Revathi about how sad I felt when I was done with the book. Pardon for the melodrama, but it's the power of narration, and of course the brilliant writer herself, J.K Rowling. And certainly, the mo...