Skip to main content

Goodbye routine

Do you have lingering thoughts in your heads whenever you bid farewell to someone? A loved one, a family member, a dear friend, a recently made acquaintance, and a stranger whom you barely know? At least I know I do have them.

There are some farewells when we would go our separate ways, and there would be thoughts like, "Should I turn back?" and "Will the person turn back, too? To share that one last goodbye for the day?". There are some farewells where I would board the bus first, or leave the train first and I would wonder, "Should I search for that person amidst the crowd?" and "Will the person scan her or his eyes to meet mine, too?". There are some farewells when I would enter the lift and I would wonder, "Will the person stay, to have our eyes interlocked and to be smiling at each other, till I go out of the person's sight?" And there are instances when I would doubt, "Oh, the person probably wouldn't turn back, or glance back at me, so, go, go, go, just go and continue walking." But I still do these things, anyway.

Of course, there are times I would be the paisey one, because I would be hopelessly scanning for the person or I would be syiok sendiri, waving so enthusiastically to no one in particular. And then cheesy scenes from those typical movies would be conjured in my mind, depicting the lack of timeliness in the glances. Nonetheless, I absolutely like the thrill of stealing these last few moments to squeeze in more goodbyes and wanting to give that one final good farewell.

What I am certain is that I do not have these thoughts whenever I say goodbye to my dear grandmother. I went to visit my grandparents yesterday and as usual, my grandma would do her goodbye routine. The moment I stepped foot on the ground floor, I would instantly glance up because I know that she would be there. Craning her neck and looking out for me. And I would smile back and wave. And then I'd continue walking across the badminton court, feeling her eyes watching my back as I was headed towards the road. I would continue walking. There would be this little voice, don't be silly, no way would she still be there, because it's been awhile since I've walked, but my stubborn head would look back, because I know, so very well, that she would still be there. From afar, the tiny figure of my grandma and seeing her arms waving at me. We do this routine each time, and I would have about 4 rounds of stopping to turn back, and to give enthusiastic waves.

It breaks my heart each time because in this game, we know very well that she wins. Because I'm the one who has to disappear out of her sight. Because she could stay wherever she was, watching me walk away. I would like to be the one who do that.

Thank you, grandma, for always looking out for me. May God bless you and your kind soul.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming my voice

It has been more than 2 years since I published anything on this blog. I have written a few reflections quite abit during this time, but they are mostly in draft versions, probably reflective of the scatteredness of my thought processes, or the ongoing engagement with the topic which has yet found a proper resolve (or is there ever a resolve really?), or just me finding mere words to articulate my thoughts that are waiting to be entertained and possibly verbalised or written. I'm driven to write this post precisely because I can't entirely ignore the nagging voice inside my head, telling me to use writing as a tool to not only express myself, but to reclaim my voice. It is such an insanely noisy world. The constant stream of information from different online platforms not only pull me from various directions, but it spreads my attention too thin that it is impossible to follow one stream of thought, sit on it for awhile, slowly reflect and if possible, articulate it. It is not

Information vs. Knowledge

“To know how to put what knowledge in which place is wisdom. Otherwise, knowledge without order and seeking it without discipline does lead to confusion and hence to injustice to one's self.” - Syed Muhammad Naquib Al-Attas This week's key takeaway for me is that; knowledge requires knowing its proper order and place.  Everything else is just information.

Infinity

unbounded to any definitions or limits, existing but not adequately known. this entity, being constantly talked about, pulls like an unbeatable gravitational force. we are always approaching, almost touching, existing in tandem, still, not yet meeting Infinity the eventual meeting where there are no bounds