Skip to main content

In transition

So for the sake of some quick updates, I've been having about a month of bumming. I had officially graduated after 4 years, which now felt very much like 4 months instead when I look back. It's amazing how time flies. I'll talk more about school as I intend to dedicate a blog entry for this particular milestone since school has been a significant part of my life and it deserves a proper closure in writing. I spent about 3 months doing an internship soon after and ever since it ended, I've been clinging to my 4 weeks of freedom very dearly before the start of my first official job.

While I planned my last few days, the first realization I had was the very fact that I had almost no memory of the last time I could spend my days freely and doing whatever I wanted to. The last was probably the period of time after the A's, but most of it was spent doing a part-time job. This week has been refreshing. For one, I notice how beautiful the afternoons are. While the majority of the world goes to work or school, I have been basking myself in the freedom of being able to spend my afternoons gravitating towards the things I've been wanting to do (eating and socializing for most part!). It's definitely much quieter and this somehow facilitates more observation of the surroundings than the observations made on an average day in a crowded school, or the journey to and back from work, or during the weekends.

There's really something beautiful and majestic about the morning sun. Apart from the fact that the the vitamin D from the morning rays is really good for the skin, I notice how nice it is to feel the warmth while the air is still cool in the morning. Mornings are the best time to plop on the grass and actually literally feel the day starting; the earth is rotating and a good minute should be dedicated to appreciate the gift of another day. The air is fresh and crisp and you feel renewed and light because there isn't any fixed agenda for the day. I see aunties and housewives gathering under the block chattering away, I see mothers and maids clutching the hands of the young children, getting ready to go to school, and I see grandmothers gathering at the shared neighbourhood garden, and well, God knows what they were doing. I hopped on the train and I didn't even need to be all kiasu just to get a seat. The train wasn't cluttered with people and as natural as it could get, I reached for my book inside my bag and had an uninterrupted reading time, completely engrossed. When was the last time we could actually read a book on the train without having anyone peering over our shoulders or to even maintain a comfortable reading distance without hitting someone? I've always thought reading books in metros or trains is very picturesque. It feels as if you're really on a vacation, all drawn into the world in which you're reading, while the train brings you to your destination. And walking through the streets when they are relatively un-crowded is blissful; you feel you can really breathe unlike during the weekends where you see anthills after anthills. You get to stop and really stare, and to be consciously aware what you're actually walking on and what you're passing by. I was once walking through a neighbourhood area which is adorned with beautiful flowers and garden and a lake, and taking it all in.

Before working life starts, I've been giving myself reminders of this phenomenon we are all very familiar with; that the grass is always greener on the other side. We are always searching for the greener pastures. I often hear seniors telling me to appreciate school because those are the days I will soon miss once I start working. But I only remember being overly enthusiastic about having a stable job during my final year of school and wanting to get school over and done with. So now that I'm in between, I'm taking the time to fully embrace what life is like before filling it in with anything else. It used to be school, and very soon, it will be work. Really, we are so caught up with moving from one phase to another, we need to seize this transition phase, and appreciate life as it is, as it has always been, as it should be. I am hoping that once I'm in the rat race with everyone else, I can look back upon this period and remember how it's like to feel light and free.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dumbledore

I know this is probably another random entry. But I'm excited for Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows movie and I suddenly thought about the day when I read through the final pages of Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince. I must admit, I was actually mourning for the great Albus Dumbledore when he died (or got killed rather). Not the kind of mourning that goes on for days, just a momentary one. And I pictured in my mind, how everyone in Hogwarts were mourning for their beloved Headmaster and how solemn the environment must have felt to the extent that I actually thought that the bedroom where I was, in this tiny, little Singapore, felt equally dull and grey as well. It's impressive how characters come alive like that and reel me into the world of stories. I even had texted Revathi about how sad I felt when I was done with the book. Pardon for the melodrama, but it's the power of narration, and of course the brilliant writer herself, J.K Rowling. And certainly, the mo...

Artichoke

HAHA! Si tu le dis : you know what archuleta sounds like Si tu le dis : it sounds like artichokes sakinah : what! sakinah : HAHA sakinah : YEAH! sakinah : the french vegetable! Si tu le dis : thus, vegetables. As a matter of fact, I did taste artichoke, and it's pretty good. Very delicious vegetable indeed, right Alvin? HAHAHAH!

There's always 1001 things to do

Now, I supposed most Singaporean bloggers will harp about the flood at Orchard Road. I shall skip that, although I'd like to add that I actually woke up this morning (11 am) feeling so good because the weather's nice. Little did I know for two hours there was a flood at Orchard Road and to think that such occurences are rarity. Ok I hope they would start doing something to the drainage system. Working at Media C. for 2 days was quite an experience, except that Aiman and I did nothing much on Sunday and we kind of did a million more things on Monday because we had ongoing tasks to do. Plus we've met exciting people and also, hmm, interesting people (of whom we secretly gave nicknames for us to refer to). I suddenly thought of The Devil Wears Prada and I actually wonder how the life of assistants are in this line of work, are they really treated like shit? Is that a part of climbing up the ladder in this career path? Ok random. The awesome thing is really to see how they swi...