Skip to main content

Eid Al-Adha


A Pakistani teenager hugs his goat at a livestock market for upcoming Eid al-Adha festival on the outskirts of Islamabad, Pakistan.


Happy Eid to Muslims once again. I feel thankful that we have 2 eids in a year, and although the former Eid renders people (predominantly Muslims in Asia) more celebrations and joy, EidulAdha has a greater significance. Although I'm many miles away, pictures of Muslims clad in white coming from all over the world, congregating on this very day, in front of Kaabah, has always given me spiritual strength and faith and hopes that someday, I'll muster my way there myself, God-willing.

Hope this holiday brings well to all be it enjoying the good company of food and family, studying or relaxing :)

I found this really nice quote from Yatay, and I'd like to share this:

In Morocco, on one of our honeymoons, I became drawn to the word 'inshallah', meaning 'if God wills it'. I love the simplicity and beauty of this idea. In English, there is no one word that so completely surrenders to fate.

-Martha McPhee


How I personally interpret this is nothing of any associations to 'low perseverance' or 'resignation of fate' for that matter. How I see this is we say "inshaallah" purely because we don't know when God decides to take our souls away. But this quote is so beautiful, I am fascinated by the whole lisguistic aspect of it, and I'd like to know really if there's any equivalent word from any other languages that can capture this same essence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's always 1001 things to do

Now, I supposed most Singaporean bloggers will harp about the flood at Orchard Road. I shall skip that, although I'd like to add that I actually woke up this morning (11 am) feeling so good because the weather's nice. Little did I know for two hours there was a flood at Orchard Road and to think that such occurences are rarity. Ok I hope they would start doing something to the drainage system. Working at Media C. for 2 days was quite an experience, except that Aiman and I did nothing much on Sunday and we kind of did a million more things on Monday because we had ongoing tasks to do. Plus we've met exciting people and also, hmm, interesting people (of whom we secretly gave nicknames for us to refer to). I suddenly thought of The Devil Wears Prada and I actually wonder how the life of assistants are in this line of work, are they really treated like shit? Is that a part of climbing up the ladder in this career path? Ok random. The awesome thing is really to see how they swi...

Dumbledore

I know this is probably another random entry. But I'm excited for Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows movie and I suddenly thought about the day when I read through the final pages of Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince. I must admit, I was actually mourning for the great Albus Dumbledore when he died (or got killed rather). Not the kind of mourning that goes on for days, just a momentary one. And I pictured in my mind, how everyone in Hogwarts were mourning for their beloved Headmaster and how solemn the environment must have felt to the extent that I actually thought that the bedroom where I was, in this tiny, little Singapore, felt equally dull and grey as well. It's impressive how characters come alive like that and reel me into the world of stories. I even had texted Revathi about how sad I felt when I was done with the book. Pardon for the melodrama, but it's the power of narration, and of course the brilliant writer herself, J.K Rowling. And certainly, the mo...

Artichoke

HAHA! Si tu le dis : you know what archuleta sounds like Si tu le dis : it sounds like artichokes sakinah : what! sakinah : HAHA sakinah : YEAH! sakinah : the french vegetable! Si tu le dis : thus, vegetables. As a matter of fact, I did taste artichoke, and it's pretty good. Very delicious vegetable indeed, right Alvin? HAHAHAH!