Skip to main content

Life cycle

What the French term "métro-boulot-dodo" literally means is "subway-work-sleep". And I don't have to put any effort to draw the parallel with what our lives have become, to that. A bus ride to wherever we work, proceeding to work, and coming back feeling so exhausted and then finally sleeping. The alarm goes off and hello to another day filled with just the same things. Fortunately for some of us, this cycle doesn't apply so immensely because we have happy, positive things to look forward to and to squeeze into. But what happens if there's nothing much to look forward to anymore? When this happens, we do what we do best; finding other things to do such that it seems like we're breaking out of that cycle. Unfortunately, those are short-lived because we always find ourselves landing on the same old cycle once again. So do you see the pattern here? The main question is, how long do we have to keep up with this?

Now I realise how some of us have completely surrender ourselves to life's awful, gnawing pace. Because it's tiring to step back out only knowing that you have to run along the same cycle again, it's so much easier to not do anything about it anymore. People get jaded, so jaded they let life take control instead of the other way round.

I think one of life's biggest mysteries would be on how to discover a device or rather a cure on how do we ever get out of that cycle long enough that there will never be a relapse (going back to that same cycle). I'm thinking that till the day we die, we would probably run on the same cycle, sometimes even without our conscious awareness.

And you know what? I think this is precisely why life is temporary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming my voice

It has been more than 2 years since I published anything on this blog. I have written a few reflections quite abit during this time, but they are mostly in draft versions, probably reflective of the scatteredness of my thought processes, or the ongoing engagement with the topic which has yet found a proper resolve (or is there ever a resolve really?), or just me finding mere words to articulate my thoughts that are waiting to be entertained and possibly verbalised or written. I'm driven to write this post precisely because I can't entirely ignore the nagging voice inside my head, telling me to use writing as a tool to not only express myself, but to reclaim my voice. It is such an insanely noisy world. The constant stream of information from different online platforms not only pull me from various directions, but it spreads my attention too thin that it is impossible to follow one stream of thought, sit on it for awhile, slowly reflect and if possible, articulate it. It is not

Information vs. Knowledge

“To know how to put what knowledge in which place is wisdom. Otherwise, knowledge without order and seeking it without discipline does lead to confusion and hence to injustice to one's self.” - Syed Muhammad Naquib Al-Attas This week's key takeaway for me is that; knowledge requires knowing its proper order and place.  Everything else is just information.

Infinity

unbounded to any definitions or limits, existing but not adequately known. this entity, being constantly talked about, pulls like an unbeatable gravitational force. we are always approaching, almost touching, existing in tandem, still, not yet meeting Infinity the eventual meeting where there are no bounds