Skip to main content

We are not robots

It's Wednesday and my first paper would be next Monday. One of the most hated periods of our lives, well most of us dread them, are really the pre-examination periods. The moment you wake up, it's just you and the books, you take breaks whenever you need them, and then you continue facing the books. I have to admit, isn't this a teeny bit sad? I mean, besides the wondrous things you can attain with excellent academic achievement, the whole cycle is just plain flat.

Few of the things I thought about during my breaktime are the greater things out there. I thought about this because I was frying an egg to satisfy my stomach, and when I was peeling the onions, I teared. Well most of the time I didn't tear as much as this one, and me, after many years of having learnt that onions make you cry, am still amazed. I'm amazed how such creations can actually cause such a strong physiological reaction from humans.

The other thing I thought about was really how I'm going to live my university years. If you ask me which one I'd want (and if I REALLY have to choose) between achieving a high CAP score, or gaining wonderful experiences and making all these years memorable, I'd choose the latter. No matter what, I believe in living. Of forming wonderful bonds with the amazing people out there and just enjoying the time here, and most of all, enjoy learning. What I fear most is really how education could possibly make learning a chore, and making us all feel like robots, sucking information and regurgitating when it comes to examinations. Ain't we all better than computers? But of course we should all strive for the best, excellence both in academic and experiences.

Oh just a sidenote (and this isn't a biased point of view), studying developmental psych really enlightened me a great deal, and especially providing insights on how to be good parents haha!

Ok, back to studying.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's always 1001 things to do

Now, I supposed most Singaporean bloggers will harp about the flood at Orchard Road. I shall skip that, although I'd like to add that I actually woke up this morning (11 am) feeling so good because the weather's nice. Little did I know for two hours there was a flood at Orchard Road and to think that such occurences are rarity. Ok I hope they would start doing something to the drainage system. Working at Media C. for 2 days was quite an experience, except that Aiman and I did nothing much on Sunday and we kind of did a million more things on Monday because we had ongoing tasks to do. Plus we've met exciting people and also, hmm, interesting people (of whom we secretly gave nicknames for us to refer to). I suddenly thought of The Devil Wears Prada and I actually wonder how the life of assistants are in this line of work, are they really treated like shit? Is that a part of climbing up the ladder in this career path? Ok random. The awesome thing is really to see how they swi...

Dumbledore

I know this is probably another random entry. But I'm excited for Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows movie and I suddenly thought about the day when I read through the final pages of Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince. I must admit, I was actually mourning for the great Albus Dumbledore when he died (or got killed rather). Not the kind of mourning that goes on for days, just a momentary one. And I pictured in my mind, how everyone in Hogwarts were mourning for their beloved Headmaster and how solemn the environment must have felt to the extent that I actually thought that the bedroom where I was, in this tiny, little Singapore, felt equally dull and grey as well. It's impressive how characters come alive like that and reel me into the world of stories. I even had texted Revathi about how sad I felt when I was done with the book. Pardon for the melodrama, but it's the power of narration, and of course the brilliant writer herself, J.K Rowling. And certainly, the mo...

Artichoke

HAHA! Si tu le dis : you know what archuleta sounds like Si tu le dis : it sounds like artichokes sakinah : what! sakinah : HAHA sakinah : YEAH! sakinah : the french vegetable! Si tu le dis : thus, vegetables. As a matter of fact, I did taste artichoke, and it's pretty good. Very delicious vegetable indeed, right Alvin? HAHAHAH!