Skip to main content
Despite my sudden thirst for reading educational and enriching materials after three months of being academically void, my heart still reaches out to the fiction section of the library, hands brushing the covers of the chick lits. Anyway, I had $0.30 fine under my name and to my dismay I couldn't borrow any books until I pay up. And I realised that this is ever since April. I am really slow. I thought it was $6.00 or more that you are not allowed to borrow till you pay up.

Red Herring: something intended to divert attention from the real problem or matter at hand

Green Horn: an untrained or inexperienced person.


One of my tuition kids asked me what is 'red herring' and I have no idea what this idiom means. Admit it, even being a tuition teacher, you are expected not to know everything. A teacher, a doctor, a lawyer would once upon a time stumple upon something that need answers they do not have. I was just wondering about this the other day, so how do we conceal from these inquisitive kids that you actually know no better than them?

Most of the time I would say, "Why don't you think and tell me once you know?".
I think I need more than that now LOL.

Guess we'll always have new things to learn every day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There's always 1001 things to do

Now, I supposed most Singaporean bloggers will harp about the flood at Orchard Road. I shall skip that, although I'd like to add that I actually woke up this morning (11 am) feeling so good because the weather's nice. Little did I know for two hours there was a flood at Orchard Road and to think that such occurences are rarity. Ok I hope they would start doing something to the drainage system. Working at Media C. for 2 days was quite an experience, except that Aiman and I did nothing much on Sunday and we kind of did a million more things on Monday because we had ongoing tasks to do. Plus we've met exciting people and also, hmm, interesting people (of whom we secretly gave nicknames for us to refer to). I suddenly thought of The Devil Wears Prada and I actually wonder how the life of assistants are in this line of work, are they really treated like shit? Is that a part of climbing up the ladder in this career path? Ok random. The awesome thing is really to see how they swi...

Artichoke

HAHA! Si tu le dis : you know what archuleta sounds like Si tu le dis : it sounds like artichokes sakinah : what! sakinah : HAHA sakinah : YEAH! sakinah : the french vegetable! Si tu le dis : thus, vegetables. As a matter of fact, I did taste artichoke, and it's pretty good. Very delicious vegetable indeed, right Alvin? HAHAHAH!

Dumbledore

I know this is probably another random entry. But I'm excited for Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows movie and I suddenly thought about the day when I read through the final pages of Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince. I must admit, I was actually mourning for the great Albus Dumbledore when he died (or got killed rather). Not the kind of mourning that goes on for days, just a momentary one. And I pictured in my mind, how everyone in Hogwarts were mourning for their beloved Headmaster and how solemn the environment must have felt to the extent that I actually thought that the bedroom where I was, in this tiny, little Singapore, felt equally dull and grey as well. It's impressive how characters come alive like that and reel me into the world of stories. I even had texted Revathi about how sad I felt when I was done with the book. Pardon for the melodrama, but it's the power of narration, and of course the brilliant writer herself, J.K Rowling. And certainly, the mo...